A Letter from Matthew Piroch
As an alumnus of Slippery Rock University (SRU) and a member of the IT Board of Visitors, I want to thank you personally for taking the time to consider SRU to further your education. SRU understands the important decision and financial impacts associated with furthering your education. Every consideration is taken so that you are comfortable with the academic program and the campus setting. I can assure you that SRU offers a wide variety of opportunities which will help you facilitate your learning opportunities for the future.
On a more personal note, I would like to tell you that the Board of Visitors is composed of two dozen Information Technology Professionals from the greater Pittsburgh area who meet regularly to advise the computer programs at SRU. We feel this provides our students the opportunity to further define their area of expertise.
Over the past several years I have worked closely with the professors and teachers within the group to participate in the following events:
- Industry Awareness Night - Provides an opportunity for students to interact with IT professionals from all areas of business to understand the perspectives of the existing job market and work environment.
- Job Shadow Day - Allows students to work closely within organizations, including my own, to create synergies between academia and real life business environment.
- Guest Lecturing - This permitted professionals from my organization to lecture in the classroom regarding actual real world case studies and solution series.
- Mentoring - We work closely with students to help bring them better understanding of the specific curriculum they are in and provide guidance and leadership to ensure they are ready to move into the working environment once they graduate.
- Internships - Each year my organization has internships for those students who show promise and are interested in obtaining a better understanding of the degree in which they are enrolled. We have had several student interns from Slippery Rock and look forward to future internships from the University.
- Full Time Employment - My organization seeks well rounded individuals who aspire to the professionalism in both academic and the social aspects of any job. To that end, we have hired individuals directly into the organization or utilize them as contractors to support initiatives in our organization.
In addition to the above, as an active board member, I am in contact with the chairman of the department along with many of the professors and teachers within the Computer Science Department. There are mutual discussions, where we solicit feedback from students, professors, and the business world so that we can continually strive to bring the best in technology to our students- helping them to become the best in their academic field and giving them the opportunity for success in their careers.
In closing, I encourage you to consider SRU as your choice for academic studies as I did. SRU offers the opportunity to learn and work in a professional setting with experienced and learned instructors.
My best regards for your future endeavors both professionally and personally.Sincerely,
Matthew P. Piroch, Senior Vice President
Chief Information Officer
Chief Operations Officer
Chief Security Officer